Today, we’ll look at how to change the color of the interface in Microsoft Word. We will also look at how to use the Dark Mode specific to Word for Microsoft 365.
Important Note: These steps will also change the color of the interface for your other Office apps, such as Excel and PowerPoint.
- How to Change the Color of the Interface in Microsoft Word
- How to Use Dark Mode in Word for Microsoft 365
This tutorial is also available as a YouTube video showing all the steps in real time.
Watch more than 150 other writing-related software tutorials on my YouTube channel.
The images below are from Word for Microsoft 365. These steps (except for Dark Mode) also apply to Word 2021, Word 2019, Word 2016, and Word 2013. These steps don’t apply to Word for Mac.
How to Change the Color of the Interface in Microsoft Word
- Select the File tab in the ribbon.
- Select the Options tab in the Backstage view.
- Select the General tab in the Word Options dialog box.
- Select an option from the Office Theme menu:
- Dark Gray
- Black (This is Dark Mode in Word for Microsoft 365. See the section below for more information about working with Dark Mode.)
- Use system setting (This is the default option in Word for Microsoft 365.)
- Colorful (This provides the classic blue bar at the top of the screen.)
- Select the OK button.
Pro Tip: If you are using Word for Microsoft 365, you can also change the Office Theme in the Account tab in the Backstage view (File > Account).
Your change should take effect immediately.
How to Use Dark Mode in Word for Microsoft 365
In Word for Microsoft 365, you can use Dark Mode with a dark canvas (i.e., the page) or a white canvas. Your choice won’t affect how your document prints or appears on other people’s computers.
- Select the File tab in the ribbon (see figure 1).
- Select Options in the Backstage view (see figure 2).
- Select the General tab in the Word Options dialog box (see figure 3).
- Select Black from the Office Theme menu (see figure 4).
- (Optional) Select Disable dark mode if you want Dark Mode to always open with a white canvas.
- Select the OK button (see figure 5).
Your change to Dark Mode should take effect immediately.
Switch between a White Canvas and Black Canvas
While in Dark Mode, you can switch between a white canvas and black canvas, even if you selected “Disable Dark Mode” in the Word Options dialog box.
- Select the View tab in the ribbon.
- Select the Switch Modes button to toggle between canvas colors. (The icon in the button will switch from a sun to a moon.)
Updated May 04, 2022