This tutorial shows how to convert Microsoft Word documents to PowerPoint slides using Word for the web.
We will also look at how to download the converted file to your computer so you can finish customizing the slides in the desktop version of PowerPoint.
Watch all the steps shown here in real time!
Explore more than 250 writing-related software tutorials on my YouTube channel.
Table of Contents:
- How to Convert Word Documents to PowerPoint Slides
- How to Download PowerPoint for Web Files to Your Computer
Your Word document’s first-level heading will become the cover slide. Your second-level headings will become the individual slide titles. For information about creating headings, see “How to Create and Customize Headings in Microsoft Word (PC & Mac).
How to Convert Word Documents to PowerPoint Slides
- Log in to your Microsoft 365 account at microsoft365.com using a browser such as Edge or Chrome. (This feature isn’t available in the Safari browser.)
- If your Word file is stored on your computer, select the Upload option.
- Locate and select the Word file in the Open dialog box and then select the Open button.
- After your file opens, select the File tab.
- Select the Export tab.
- Select the Export to PowerPoint presentation option.
- Select a design option from the Export to presentation dialog box. (Select the See more themes button, if necessary.)
Pro Tip: You can change and customize your design later, so don’t worry if you can’t find one that is perfect.
- Select the Export button.
- Select the Open Presentation button.
Your Word document will appear as slides in PowerPoint for the web. The new PowerPoint (.pptx) file should be saved in your OneDrive account. Continue to edit the slides in PowerPoint for the web, as you normally would.
Alternatively, download the file to your computer in order to customize your slides in the PowerPoint desktop app.
How to Download PowerPoint for the Web Files to Your Computer
- Select the File tab.
- Select the Save as option.
- Select the Download a copy option.
- Select the Download button in the dialog box.
- Locate and select the file in your browser’s Download folder or press Windows + E to open File Explorer.
- Select the PowerPoint file in your Downloads folder to open it in your desktop PowerPoint app.
Friendly Reminder: Remember to save your PowerPoint file in another location other than your Downloads folder.