In the last tutorial, we created a custom heading style in Microsoft Word for the PC. Today, we’re going to create a custom heading style in Microsoft Word for Mac. We will also look at how to delete a custom heading style in Mac.
- How to Create a Custom Heading Style in Word for Mac
- How to Delete a Custom Heading Style in Word for Mac
This tutorial is also available as a YouTube video showing all the steps in real time.
Watch more than 100 other videos about Microsoft Word and Adobe Acrobat on my YouTube channel.
The images below are from Word for Microsoft 365 for Mac. These steps should be similar in older versions of the software.
How to Create a Custom Heading Style in Word for Mac
- Select the Home tab in the ribbon.
- Select the Styles Pane button.
- Select the New Style button in the Styles Pane.
- Type a name for your custom heading style in the Name text box in the Create New Style from Formatting dialog box.
- Select your heading level in the Style based on menu.
- This step is important because your new heading won’t be included in your table of contents or outline without an assigned level.
- You are creating a new heading style for the level you choose, but you won’t be replacing the existing built-in style for that level. For example, if you choose Heading 2, the built-in Heading 2 style will remain the same and can be used in the same document with your custom level 2 style.
- Select your style’s new font, font size, emphasis (which is bold, italics, or underlining), color, and alignment in the Formatting section.
The preview window will update as you make formatting selections so you can review your style as you make changes.
- (Optional) Select Add to template if you want your style to be available in future documents.
- Select the OK button.
Your style should now appear in the Style gallery.
- Select the X to close the Styles pane.
The new style can be applied to any text in your document.
How to Delete a Custom Heading Style in Word for Mac
- Control click (or right-click) your custom heading style in the Style gallery, and then select Remove from Style Gallery in the shortcut menu.
Your style should now be removed from the Style gallery.
How to Add and Modify Heading Numbers in Microsoft Word (PC & Mac)
How to Insert and Delete a Blank Page in Microsoft Word (PC & Mac)
How to Change Page Orientation in Microsoft Word (PC & Mac)
How to Insert Section Breaks in Microsoft Word (PC & Mac)
Updated May 20, 2022