This tutorial shows how to embed online videos in Word for Microsoft 365. The embedded videos can come from YouTube, Vimeo, or SlideShare.net. We will also look at how to resize and reposition embedded videos and how to play the embedded videos.
We will look at how to embed offline videos in a separate tutorial.
This tutorial’s companion video shows all the steps in real time.
Watch more than 150 other writing-related software tutorials on my YouTube channel.
These steps apply to Word for Microsoft 365 for the PC. While you can embed videos in Word 2021, Word 2019, and Word 2016, the steps are slightly different than those shown here. Word for Mac doesn’t currently offer a way to embed online videos.
How to Embed Online Videos
Important Notes about Embedding Online Videos
If you are using Windows 11 or an up-to-date version of Windows 10, the Microsoft Edge browser must be installed on your computer.
If you are using an older version of Windows 10 or a previous version of Windows, the Internet Explorer 11 browser must be installed on your computer.
You don’t have to use either of these browsers; however, the appropriate one must be installed “behind the scenes.” For most Windows users, these browsers will already be installed by default. Please see this article from Microsoft support for more information.
Also note that the Online Video tool won’t be available if your file is in Compatibility Mode.
- Open the browser of your choice (it doesn’t have to be Edge) and navigate to the video you want to embed from YouTube, Vimeo, or SlideShare.net.
- Copy the URL from the address bar. (For this tutorial, I will be copying a URL from YouTube.)
- Open your Word file.
- Place your cursor in the text where you want to embed the video.
- Select the Insert tab in the ribbon.
- Select the Online Videos button.
- Paste the URL into the text box in the Insert a video dialog box.
- Select the Insert button.
The video should be embedded into your document.
How to Resize and Reposition Embedded Videos
- Select the video thumbnail if it’s not already selected. (Be careful not to select the Play button in the center.)
- Use the resizing handles to adjust the size of the video thumbnail.
- Select the Layout Options button.
- Select an option from the layout menu:
A. In Line with Text
E. Top and Bottom
F. Behind Text
G. In Front of Text
The visual effectiveness of each option will depend on the size of the video thumbnail and the density of your text. Therefore, you may need to experiment to find the option most appropriate for your content.
Pro Tip: The six options shown under With Text Wrapping let you reposition the video thumbnail to almost any location in your document.
You can also enhance your video thumbnail with additional image formatting such as a border. Please see “How to Insert and Modify Images in Microsoft Word” for more information.
How to Play Embedded Videos
The images shown here are from an embedded YouTube video. Your controllers may look different if your video is from Vimeo or SlideShare.net
- Select the Play button in the center of the video thumbnail.
The video will appear over the top of your document. Use the built-in YouTube, Vimeo, or SlideShare.net controllers to play the video.
- Click away from the video (in the darkened part of the screen) to return to your Word document.
How to Insert Audio Files in Microsoft Word