This tutorial shows how to change the font color of all existing Modern comments in Microsoft Word.
Unlike classic comments, Modern comments have limited customization options. In fact, when you are working in Modern comments, the Styles group in the Home tab is disabled. However, the workaround below allows us to change the font color without turning off Modern comments.
Watch all the steps shown here in real time!
Explore more than 200 writing-related software tutorials on my YouTube channel.
These steps are for Word for Microsoft 365 on a PC. These steps don’t apply to Word for Mac.
Please see “How to Change the Font and Font Size of Comments in Microsoft Word” if you are using classic comments in Word 2021, Word 2019, Word 2016, Word 2013, or Word 2010.
For more information about working with Modern comments, please see “How to Use Comments in Microsoft Word (Modern Comments).
How to Change the Font Color of Modern Comments
Important Note: The following steps are for changing the color of all existing Modern comments.
You can still change the font color of your own individual comments by selecting the Home tab and then choosing a color in the Font Color menu just as you would regular text.
Individual font color choices will override the global color choice selected in the steps below.
- Click in the body of the text so the Modern comments are no longer active.
- Select the Home tab in the ribbon.
- Select the Styles dialog box launcher. (Alternatively, press the keyboard shortcut Alt + Ctrl + Shift + S.)
- Select the Manage Styles button in the Styles pane.
- Select Alphabetical in the Sort order menu in the Manage Styles dialog box.
- Select Comment Text in the Select a style to edit menu.
- Select the Modify button.
- Select a color in the Font Color menu in the Modify Style dialog box.
- Select the OK button in the Modify Style dialog box.
- Select the OK button in the Manage Styles dialog box.
- Select the closing X in the Styles pane.
- Save, close, and then reopen the document.
The comments should now appear in the new color.
How to Change Your User Name for Track Changes in Microsoft Word
How to Remove User Names from Existing Track Changes in Microsoft Word