By default, in-text citations created with Microsoft Word’s Citation tool adopt the same font style as the body text. However, today’s tutorial shows how to change the font style for citations in Microsoft Word to any font, size, or color you would like.
First, we will change the font style for all the citations at once. Then, we will change the font style for individual citations.
Table of Contents:
- How to Change the Font Style for All Citations
- How to Change the Font Style for Individual Citations
For a complete tutorial about citations, please see “How to Insert Citations in Microsoft Word.”
Watch all the steps shown here in real time!
Explore more than 150 writing-related software tutorials on my YouTube channel.
The images below are from Word for Microsoft 365. These steps also apply to Word 2021, Word 2019, and Word 2016. In addition, the steps will be similar in older versions of the software. These steps don’t apply to Word for the Web.
How to Change the Font Style for All Citations
- Press Alt + F9 on your keyboard to reveal your field codes. (In Word, citations are inserted as field codes.)
Alternative: If you prefer not to use function keys, you can reveal your field codes by selecting File > Options > Advanced > Show Field Codes instead of their values > OK.
- Select the Home tab in the ribbon.
- Select the Replace button in the Editing group.
- Type ^d CITATION into the Find what text box. (Ensure that you have one space between the ^d and CITATION.)
- Place your cursor in the Replace with text box. (Be careful not to type anything.)
- Select the More button.
- Select the Format button.
- Select Font from the drop-down menu.
- Select your new font, font style, size, font color, underline style, and underline color from the Font tab in the Find Font dialog box.
- Select the OK button.
Your replacement font choices should appear under the Replace with text box.
- Select the Replace All button.
- Select the OK button in the dialog box reporting the number of replacements.
- Select the Close button.
- Press Alt + F9 on your keyboard to hide the field codes.
All your citations should now feature your new font style.
How to Change the Font Style for Individual Citations
- Select the entire citation, right-click it, and then select Font from the shortcut menu.
- Select your new font, font style, size, font color, underline style, and underline color from the Font dialog box.
- Select the OK button.
The individual citation should be changed to your new font style.
How to Create a Citation with Multiple Sources in Microsoft Word
How to Insert Footnotes and Endnotes in Microsoft Word
How to Modify the Style of Footnotes and Endnotes in Microsoft Word