This tutorial shows how to change the proofing language for comments in Microsoft Word.
But first, why would you want to change the proofing language for comments? Because …
Comments in Word Inherit Proofing Languages
When you use Word’s Track Changes to edit someone else’s document, the comment tool automatically inherits the original author’s proofing language along with spelling and grammar-check settings. Normally this inheritance isn’t a problem. However, if the author wrote the text in another language and then translated it to English, your comments may be ignored by the spelling and grammar check (now called the Editor) until you change the comments to your desired proofing language.
This tutorial is available as a YouTube video showing all the steps in real time.
Watch more than 100 other writing-related software tutorials on my YouTube channel.
Please note that the images below are from Word for Microsoft 365. The steps also apply to Word 2021, Word 2019, Word 2016 and Word 2013; however, the interface in these older versions may look slightly different.
How to Change the Proofing Language for Comments in Word
1. Select the Home tab in the ribbon.
2. Select the dialog box launcher in the Styles group.
3. Select the Options button in the Styles task pane.
4. Select All styles in the Select styles to show drop-down menu in the Style Pane Options dialog box.
5. Select the OK button to close the Style Pane Options dialog box.
6. Scroll to Comment Text in the Styles task pane; hold your cursor over Comment Text to reveal the options arrow.
7. Select the options arrow and then select Modify from the drop-down menu.
8. Select the Format button in the Modify Style dialog box.
9. Select Language in the drop-down menu.
10. Select English (or another preferred language) in the Mark selected text as drop-down menu in the Language dialog box.
11. Uncheck Do not check spelling or grammar to ensure that Word will include your comments in spelling and grammar checks.
12. Select the OK button to close the Language dialog box.
13. Select the OK button to close the Modify Style dialog box.
14. Save, close, and then reopen the document to activate your new comment review settings.
Recommended Reading: How to Change the Font and Font Size of Comments in Word
Updated January 06, 2022