This tutorial shows how to convert a Microsoft Word outline into PowerPoint slides on a Mac.
Before making the conversion, we first have to save the Word document as a Rich Text Format file and then format the levels in the outline. For more information about outlining, please see “How to Use Outline View in Microsoft Word (PC & Mac).
Watch all the steps shown here in real time!
Explore more than 250 writing-related software tutorials on my YouTube channel.
Table of Contents:
- How to Save the Word Document as a Rich Text Format File
- How to Format the Word Outline Levels for Conversion to Slides
- How to Convert a Word Outline to PowerPoint Slides
The images below are from Word for Microsoft 365 for Mac and PowerPoint for Microsoft 365 for Mac. These steps also apply to Word 2021 for Mac, PowerPoint 2021 for Mac, Word 2019 for Mac, PowerPoint 2019 for Mac, Word 2016 for Mac, and PowerPoint 2016 for Mac.
Are you on a PC? Please see “How to Convert a Microsoft Word Outline into PowerPoint Slides.”
How to Save the Word Document as a Rich Text Format File
PowerPoint for Mac is not able to convert an outline from a regular Word file (.docx) into slides. However, it can convert an outline from a Rich Text Format (.rtf) file.
- Open the Word document
- Select the File menu.
- Select Save As from the drop-down menu.
- Select Rich Text Format (.rtf) in the File Format menu in the Save As dialog box.
- Select the Save button.
How to Format the Outline Levels for Conversion to Slides
Important Note: After saving the file as a Rich Text Format file, it will appear in Compatibility Mode in Word.
- Select the View tab.
- Select the Outline option.
- Select the outline items that should appear as slide titles and then select Level 1 in the Outline Level menu.
Pro Tip: Press and Hold the Command key to select multiple items.
- Select the outline items that should appear as first-level bullet points in the slides and then select Level 2 in the Outline Level menu (see figure 4).
- Continue to select items that should appear as lower-level bullet points in the slides and then select the outline level one level lower in the Outline Level menu (see figure 4). For example, select Level 3 to create a second-level bullet point in the slide.
- Save the Rich Text Format file and then quit Word.
How to Convert a Word Outline into PowerPoint Slides
- Open PowerPoint and select Blank Presentation from the Home screen.
- Select the New Slide menu arrow.
- Select Outline from the drop-down menu.
- Locate and select the Rich Text Format file in the Choose a File dialog box and then select the Insert button.
The Word outline should now be converted to PowerPoint slides. This process may take several moments depending on the length of the outline.
- The first slide will be blank to create a title slide or cover slide. If a title slide is not required, Control-click the blank slide and then select Delete Slide from the shortcut menu.