This tutorial shows how to create numbered lists in PowerPoint. We will also look at how to modify the numbered lists by changing the appearance, starting number, and list level. This tutorial can also be used to create lists organized by letters and Roman numerals instead of regular numbers.
Watch all the steps shown here in real time!
Explore more than 150 writing-related software tutorials on my YouTube channel.
The images below are from PowerPoint for Microsoft 365. These steps also apply to PowerPoint for Microsoft 365 for Mac (a.k.a., PowerPoint for Mac), PowerPoint 2021, PowerPoint 2019, PowerPoint 2016, and PowerPoint 2013 (PC only).
How to Create Numbered Lists in PowerPoint
These steps assume you have not created the slide where your numbered list will appear. If you have already created a slide, skip to step 4.
- Select the Home tab in the ribbon.
- Select the New Slide menu arrow in the Slides group.
- Select a layout with premade text boxes from the drop-down menu. (Alternatively, you can select the blank layout or one of the other layouts and then manually add a text box from the Insert tab.)
- Place your cursor in the automatically created filler text. The filler text will disappear. (Depending on the slide you chose, you may not have filler text.)
- Select the Numbering menu arrow in the Paragraph group.
- Select a number style from the drop-down menu.
- (Optional) Select Bullets and Numbering for more options.
7.a. Select a size (in percentage) in relation to the list text in the Bullets and Numbering dialog box.
7.b. Select a color. This color will only affect the list numbers, not the list text.
7.c. Enter a number in the Start at text box if you don’t want to start with the number 1.
7.d. Select the OK button.
- Type your text after the number and then press the Enter (PC) or Return (Mac) key to move to the next number.
- (Optional) To change the list level, select the list items and then press the Decrease List Level or Increase List Level buttons. Alternatively, you can press the Tab key to increase list levels or Shift + Tab to decrease list levels.
Important Note: Select all or part of the list and then reselect Bullets and Numbering to change the numbering style, as shown in figures 8 through 12.
- (Optional) To change the font, font size, or color for the list numbers and list text, select the list text and then select new options in the Font, Size, and Color menus.
Important Note: Any color chosen in the Bullets and Numbering dialog box will override the color chosen in the Paragraph group. Therefore, you can have separate colors for the list numbers and list text.
- To leave the numbered list, place your cursor at the end of the list text and then press the Enter followed by the Backspace key (PC) or Return key followed by the Delete key (Mac).
How to Create and Modify Numbered Lists in Microsoft Word
How to Insert a Linked PowerPoint Slide in Microsoft Word