We recently added paragraph borders in Microsoft Word. Today, we’re going to add paragraph shading. We’ll also look at how to remove paragraph shading.
Like borders, paragraph shading can be used to highlight important information or add visual interest to your document.
In addition, borders and shading can be combined to create a more dramatic effect.
Table of Contents
Watch all the steps shown here in real time!
Explore more than 200 writing-related software tutorials on my YouTube channel.
The images below are from Word for Microsoft 365. These steps also apply to Word for Microsoft 365 for Mac (a.k.a., Word for Mac), Word 2021, Word 2019, and Word 2016. In addition, the steps will be similar in older versions of the software.
How to Add Paragraph Shading
- Select the paragraph or paragraphs to which you want to add the shading.
- Select the Home tab in the ribbon.
- Select the Shading menu arrow. (Avoid selecting the Shading button itself because it will automatically apply the most recently used color to your selected paragraph.)
- (Basic option) Select a color from the Shading drop-down menu.
- (Advanced option) Select More Colors from the Shading drop-down menu.
- Select a color from the Standard tab in the Colors dialog box.
- (Alternative) Select the Custom tab for more options.
- Click an area in the color palette and then use the slider on the right to modify the saturation and hue.
Word for Mac users have more palette options, so they should explore the Colors dialog box.
- (PC users) Enter a RGB, HSL, or Hex color code into the text boxes.
(Mac users) Select the Color Sliders tab and then enter a RGB, CMYK, HSB, or Hex color code using the sliders and text boxes.
- Select the OK button.
The new shading should be applied to your paragraph.
How to Remove Paragraph Shading
- Place your cursor in the paragraph.
- Select the Home tab in the ribbon (see figure 3).
- Select the Shading menu arrow (see figure 4).
- Select No Color from the Shading drop-down menu.
The shading should be removed from your paragraph.
How to Change the Page Background Color in Microsoft Word
How to Change the Page Background Color in Word for Mac
How to Insert and Remove Page Borders in Microsoft Word (PC & Mac)
Updated February 05, 2023