In my last software tutorial, we viewed comments from specific reviewers in Microsoft Word. Today, we’ll look at how to quickly search within comments in Microsoft Word without having to search the whole document.
For added efficiency, this tutorial includes an option to search all comments or limit the search to comments from specific reviewers. (See step 3 below.)
We’ll begin by selecting comments, and then we’ll search within that selection.
Please note that these steps are for Word for Office 365, Word 2019, and Word 2016. The steps are similar for Word 2013 and Word 2010.
Select All Comments or Comments from Specific Reviewers
1. Select the Review tab.
2. Select Show Markup and ensure that the Comments option is selected.
3. Select Specific People and then ensure that All Reviewers is checked if you want to search all comments. Or, deselect reviewers whose comments you want to exclude from the search.
Search Within the Selected Comments
4. Select the Home tab.
5. Select the down arrow next to Find in the Editing group.
6. Select Advanced Find from the Find drop-down menu.
7. Enter your search term in the Find what text box in the Find and Replace dialog box. Your search term can be a single or partial word or a phrase.
Pro Tip: Select the More button if you want to use wildcards or add parameters to your search (e.g., matching uppercasing or lowercasing, searching for whole words only).
8. Select the Find In button.
9. Select Comments from the Find In drop-down menu.
10. Select Find Next repeatedly until you have located all occurrences of your search term in the comments.
Important Note: You may not see both dialog boxes described in step 11 and step 12 below if your cursor was placed at the beginning of the document when you started the search.
11. Select the Yes button in the dialog box stating that Word has finished the search and asking if you want to continue the search.
12. Select the Yes button in the dialog box stating that Word has reached the end of the comments and asking if you want to continue to search from the beginning. (In this instance, Word is referring to the beginning of the comments, not the beginning of the document.)
13. Select the OK button in the dialog box stating that the search is complete.
14. Select the X to close the Find and Replace dialog box.